Why Choose CMUs?
Many builders and architects choose CMUs for their strength, attractive appearance and affordability. If you are wondering if concrete masonry blocks are right for your construction project, consider these benefits of building with CMUs.
- Durability: Concrete blocks are durable against severe weather such as hail and sleet. They are also resistant to physical damage such as if a car bumps the building. Concrete building blocks are long-lasting and reliable.
- Low maintenance: Concrete masonry blocks will retain their original quality for a long time, without fading or becoming discolored from rain or snow. Because the color pigments are added internally, you never have to worry about painting or maintaining CMUs.
- Easy to install: CMUs are easy to install, and their hollow cavities allow reinforcement with vertical steel beams. Concrete masonry blocks provide reliable and stable performance, making them a popular choice for government and industrial buildings.
- Better building insulation: Save on heating and cooling costs by choosing concrete blocks that offer improved insulation. The thermal mass of concrete blocks allows them to better trap heat in the winter and cold air in the summer. Concrete blocks also stabilize internal building temperatures despite outside temperature fluctuations.
- Better soundproofing: Concrete blocks help prevent outside noise from entering the building to provide quieter offices and schools.
- Fire-resistant: Many concrete masonry blocks are fire-resistant for up to four hours, making them a safer choice for schools, hospitals and other buildings.
- Excellent appearance: Concrete masonry blocks provide a clean and attractive appearance for building exteriors and interiors. The variety of decorative finishes available makes them an affordable way to construct a beautiful building.
- Environmentally friendly: Nitterhouse offers eco-friendly CMU blocks with 30 percent or more recycled materials. These environmentally friendly blocks are long-lasting, so they rarely need replacement or repair and greatly reduce waste.